LAIBACH KUNST signifies the end of an era of movement, searching, the end of stylistic and aesthetic inventions, and is:
– a more mature, critical evaluation of art,
– a choice which will rediscover history, return power to institutions and conventions,
– a remodelling of history as a successful method of violence/oppression of new artistic practices,
– the application of force to the point of complete control over values,
– the depersonalisation of authors,
– the consequence of ideological dictate (Gleichschaltung),
– security for the aesthetic market (Warenästhetik);
LAIBACH KUNST conserves lasting values.
*From the exhibition leaflet „Monumental Retro-Avant-Garde“ – AUSSTELLUNG LAIBACH KUNST, Galerija ŠKUC, Ljubljana, April 21, 1983
Laibach’s manifestative definition of the term ‘Retro-Avant-Garde’, which became official art historic term in 90’, coined by Peter Weibel and later interpreted and redifined by many. Firstly printed on the invitation leaflet for the Laibach Kunst exhibition ‘Monumental Retro-Avant-Garde’ in SKUC gallery, Ljubljana, April 21st, 1983.